[Valid Atom 1.0] BarbaraEllen: Review. Friends With Kids.

Friday, July 20, 2012

Review. Friends With Kids.

.Crying.

The crying in this movie--my crying--was better than the laughing. And I mean that in the best way.

Taken from Google Images.

* * *

Didn't start off so strong. Something about the uniform humor: unerring in punchy, nonchalant witticisms and edgy though friendly reparte. My favorite kind of humor. But unnerving when it's everyone else's too. Also, had a seriously difficult time understanding Writer, Director, and Lead Actress (whaaaa?!) Jennifer Westfeldt. Her voice is like soft-serve. But certainly becomes more audible as the film progresses. And more than certainly could just be my kick-ass (not) audio set-up. 


But gradually, mirroring the pace of momentous occasions which unfurl in all of our lives, the film picked-up momentum. 
Jennifer Westfeldt.
Taken from Google Images.

Here's the Twitter Play-by-Play. 
(Attainable real-time ... when you follow me on Twitter.) 

Beginning

Only thing: Scott/Westfield kid looks like how my lil bro looked. TOOOOOO CUTE.


Everyone has the same personality/sense of humor. Worked in not in .

Transitioning


Alright. Movies getting good.


Getting so good.

Boom

MOVIE IS SO GOOD

BEST MOVIE EVERRRRRRRRRR. When fuck the shit out of you becomes romantic. OMG SO GOOD.

Post Script

                  



(Misspelled writer/director/lead actor's name. ...Not ideal.)


The good tweets.
Let me take you through my key moments which elicited ... tears.

1. Casting: Annoying at first that Adam Scott seems so mismatched with Westfeldt whose character feels older due to maturity. Enlightening once you realize it was a purposeful initial-mismatch to--again--mirror real life

Also refreshing that Kirsten Wiig isn't center-stage. Not because we don't want her to be, but rather, because she delivers such an authentic supporting character in a less-than-comedic-&-way-more-dramatic-role. Versatility. Love

2. Plot: Not predictable. I don't care what you think you know. Real. Real. Real. Real. In my minuscule experiences--compared to these characters'--the ebbs & flows of this friendship feels genuine. The difference between: that actually/really does happen & I want that so badly to happen. 

3. Rom-Com: Like these only when they're heavier on the com than the rom. This one has the balance so articulately married, it's like coco & cinnamon with a steak or champagne & citrus in a cake.  

4. Realism: Plot--what you read on IDMb or back of blue-ray--is far-fetched: 2 bff having a baby & raising it as just-friends to avoid pitfalls of marriage. ...Excuse me? But theme--underlying story-line which unites all characters--is real life: marriages which struggle because of children, maybe fall apart because they were shallow; relationships with struggle because of children, maybe fall apart because they are shallow; marriages & relationships which grow painstakingly and slowly over time because of difficult self-realizations.

Shit's so real, I cried. Alright. Two different parts.

5. Originality: Not just in plot. Or how film was able to turn rom-com, with craycray plot, into realistic story. But, also, in its delivery of romanticism.

I want to (or maybe it was I need to or maybe let me ... no matter) "fuck the shit out of you." When a film makes that romantic. Genuinely romantic. You-are-crying-right-now-romantic. You-believe-it-romantic. When a film does that ... Genius. GENIUS WESTFELDT. Genius.

Best romantic-comedy I've ever watched. Because I don't count Anchorman as romantic. ...But even if I did, Friends With Kids would still probably win.

* * *

Haven't had a boyfriend in almost 4 years. Film refocuses me. Gives me hope. Not false hope. Like go-like-best-guy-friend or re-like-loser-I-got-over. Rather: Like it's okay to be late-30's & still not know. I can live with that. ... Although, should probably land a few boyfriends between now & then.



xoxo.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Not your typical BarbaraEllen ... but still be constructive. Creative also welcome! xo.